Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Web-filtering....Arrrrgh!

The system in which I work now is rife with over-zealous web filters that will sometimes go as far as to block the Department of Education's website. Teachers are frustrated. I'm frustrated. Students are frustrated...to a degree. They seem to be the only ones who know how to get around it. The county will often unblock sites, but embedded videos, pictures, etc., are still blocked. Put in another work order, and the same results come out. It's a vicious cycle.

I'm contemplating sending this article, Do Internet Filters Undermine the Teaching of 21st Century Citizenship?, to the Super. I think every teacher has been in this situation before.

Someone posted this, which I thought was a great connection: "I'll leave you with Tom Hoffman’s analogy where he writes about web filtering, “We’ve got a situation akin to letting the clerks in the purchasing department decide whether or not the books ordered by teachers and librarians are acceptable"

No comments:

Post a Comment